Tuesday 7 April 2015

Hiring a Maid

My Darling has the first part of a longer post up about interviewing a potential maid. I like his perspective but I think he misses one essential point: inviting an attractive young woman into your house is - as many a wife with an au pair problem will tell you - a risky proposition.

Elliot talks about my interviewing strategy and he is certainly right as far as it goes; but my real objective in the preliminary interview is to make it absolutely clear to the prospective maid that in my house my instructions and word are final. We offer a wonderful package of compensation and accommodation for the right girl. Yes, she does have a few duties which are a bit our of the ordinary. Yes, she does have to curtsey. Yes, she does have to wear a uniform in the later afternoon and evenings. Yes, she will be encouraged to tease elliot for my amusement. But for the right sort of girl the ability to pursue her work without worrying about food, accommodation or money is a very attractive package.

So I am very picky. I can get along perfectly well without a maid but, truth to tell, I love having one.

No, I am not going to tell you if little Mady is being fitted for the corset which is the basis of the evening uniform. But I will tell you that she was a sweet, demure young lady who seemed to take our female led relationship in her stride.

2 comments:

  1. Will look forward to hearing more details about your maid and how you both interact with her.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will look forward to hearing more details about your maid and how you both interact with her.

    FD

    ReplyDelete